Much to my surprise and delight I managed to finish my project by early afternoon today. Then of course much shuffling of furniture had to happen so I could take some decent pictures but I get to share with all of you what has completely consumed me this last week!
This is my final project for fibers; we were taught how to use discharge paste to pull the dyed color back out of the fabric....I can't say that my piece really pushes that point but I do like the effect.
Onto the detail shots!
Sooooooooooo many bullion knots - I used 10+ things of floss. I really thought I was going to run out but I managed to make it last...I suppose I could have used up the rest filling it in a bit but I was/am ready to be done with this already. I figured that the total time it took me to complete this project was about 35 hours, with at least 2/3 of the time just hand stitching.
The black filled in areas are knotted up black yarn couched onto the fabric. I wanted to try to create an organic texture reminiscent of mold - haha. I was really trying to respond to the patterning of dye on the fabric which reminds me of plants on a cellular level.
I got a few comments that the little germ guys look like sperm, but they're not. Oh well, at least I know what they're supposed to be.
It was this moment right here, when I was cutting/ripping the edges of the fabric to make a more organic edge that I totally freaked out. I accidentally ripped right into one of the embroidered mold spores...but actually I really like that the embroidery runs off the edge...though I'm not completely sure how long it'll stay nice like that before it unravels.
That's it! I'm super happy with this result - I think it's my favorite project of the semester, and it will be hanging up.
Also there will be a bunch more posts in the next few weeks! I'm finally free from school for a while so you can count on me being super productive in my own personal projects and the TM stuff I've been slack on for so long!
Have a great week guys!