Monday, June 25, 2012

Changing Gears - getting back on the hoop train

I've had so many projects half done and laying around waiting to be finished so I decided to tackle a couple of them this week.

This is what remains of my childhood Christmas stocking. My grandmother made a stocking for everyone in the family out of felt and when my parents gave mine to me when I moved I couldn't throw it away. But it had some really unfortunate stains on it, acquired who knows when; I knew I was never going to actually use it again. Cue the bright thought to salvage the most important part which is the little felt design - it's me and my Grandmother's dog Deja (she was more of a family dog since my family was at my grandmother's house a lot). I mounted the felt bit on a piece of complimentary cloth, and now it hangs on my wall, no longer hidden away in a dusty box.

Photobucket

And this is a bit of a screenprinting project I did last year that I've always meant to hang up. I used a big quilting hoop, because the design is rather large and I did want to capture at least one repeat. I wish it could have been a little bigger but it's already pretty large.

Photobucket

Here are some things still in progress. I think they'll be destined for my etsy shop once they're done. Just for some variety =)

Photobucket

Ok, here's the moment where I admit that I like to think I'm pretty crafty and awesome in that way. But even then there are skills....like patience...that I lack. Here's the result of my impulse to do some pseudo-quilting last week...

Photobucket

The design itself is ok, but my level of skill in quilting shows...as not great. Admittedly, I was winging it as I usually do...but maybe I should just leave quilting to those that have the patience for it...Unless someone can tell me how to salvage this? Or if someone emails me their address I'll mail it to them and they can take on the crafty challenge of finishing this! =) I like that idea.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm..I'm a quilter and I've got a couple of ideas. You could freehand a swirl in the center to camouflage the offset points. Or embroider a starburst on top of it. How big of a block is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, the stocking salvage is so sweet. What a special thing to have. I love the lady with the crazy button hair too! So neat.

    I stink at quilting. I like the mix of colors and fabrics you used. Stick with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allegory - Thanks for the tips. The block is about 15 x 15 inches approximately. It was destined to be a mug rug or something if I ever finish it. My big fear now (besides it obviously needing more quilting) is binding the edges. I've never done that before.

    LimeRiot - Thanks! I need a cheerleader in my corner to recover from such a craft fail haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see any problem with your wee quilty! I love the colors. You can hand baste the edges to get them to cooperate without getting puckers in it. Then just bind it and be done. Or you can zig zag the edges and skip the binding entirely. Just finish it up and move on. You've learned a lot from this one. The next one will be even better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...