Monday, March 11, 2013

Playing with some canvas

I am such a huge texture junkie. If I can add any tactile qualities to anything I'm working on, I totally go for it. So when I was asked to create a piece of art for a sweet lady on Craftster I decided to get creative and play around. I got a lot of inspiration from Mel at LeapFeetFirst who has been creating fabulous mini canvases along these lines. I still have more playing around to do but here's a first attempt and I'm very pleased as to how it all came out.

I started with an 8 x 10 inch canvas that I glued a bunch of random paper ephemera on. Then I took some stencils and used them as a resist so that when I coated it thickly with gesso it created an incredible raised shape!! (Apologies - I was going to link the tutorial I used but the page is down for some reason)

Photobucket

I took a bunch of pictures to show the dimensionality!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

After the gesso dried fully I glopped on some granulated texture paste, a bunch of acrylic paints, and then my own homemade alcohol inks. The alcohol inks weren't as vibrant as I had hoped. I tried food coloring and kool-aid but in the end broke down and went out to buy the real deal because I wanted that vibrant color. At this stage I did also try to sprinkle alcohol onto watered down acrylics for a neat effect but it didn't work out so well. Hence, more paint to come!

Photobucket

More layering. I wanted to try to add a crackle effect by painting acrylics over barely dried glue and it sort of worked, but not to my satisfaction. I might have to break down and get some crackle medium the next time I'm at the store for a real crackly effect. I also had some "pouring medium" which is the black areas. It creates a gorgeously slick look that will stay even after drying. Love it!

Photobucket

So at this point, the whole thing is looking like a hot mess, so I went back in with more gesso to tone down the colors so I could rework it again. After the gesso I dripped some india ink and let it run a bit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A close up of the corner - I love the way the different layers show through, and the touches of color at the tops

Photobucket

And a final picture!!!

A final layer of alcohol ink spritz (with the real deal, look how much more vibrant it is!), some mica powder highlighting, detailing the butterfly, etc. I just wish my pictures could convey the texture a bit better. Oh well, use your imagination =)

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. You should really try some crackle medium. That stuff is amazeballs. I think I might be more addicted to crackle medium than texture paste- if that is even possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really will have to. The crackle effect when using just the glue/paint method is just never as awesome as serious crackle like I've seen on your pieces.

      I'm still holding out on the texture paste though haha. Gesso is actually pretty good at thickening up. I'm definitely going to play around with that effect some more...unless you have a compelling reason why I should invest in texture paste too!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE THIS! Oh em gee. I completely love this. Do you have an Etsy store?

    I think something is keeping people from replying to my comments, which I haven't figured out how to fix... So email me or comment on my blog and let me know ;)

    www.mrsdixxxon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! I do have an etsy:

      https://www.etsy.com/shop/QuirkieCraft

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...